Mixpod


Music

Friday, January 9, 2009

The first SciFi film that gave me nightmares


Our store was beside a movie theater and so it was no surprise that I and the rest of the neighborhood kids got to spend much time seeing movies during our free time. It was not uncommon for our mothers to stand at the curtained entrance and call out our kids' names for supper.

One SciFi movie I saw when I was about 6 or 7 gave me many nightmares -- Village of the Damned. Based on The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham, the film starts ominously as people of Midwich became unconscious at the same time. Much later, the women were found pregnant and gave birth on the same day to children with the same platinum blond hair, golden yellow pupils and silvery white skin. When the kids grew up, they were discovered to have telekinetic powers. When they used their powers on the locals, a doctor an a government agent tried to stop them.

For weeks after seeing the film, I had nightmares about children with glow-in-the-dark eyes. I often woke from these drenched in cold sweat.

In 1996, while looking over several video cds, I saw the John Carpenter-remake of the same film starring Christopher Reeve. The image of the blond children with glowing eyes on the cover almost gave me a nightmare while still awake.

No comments: